Handbook of Emerging Technologies for Learning

In 2009 Peter Tittenberger and I wrote a handbook of emerging technologies for learning. We created a supporting website (wiki) for the book. Those fine folks at University of Manitoba (motto: we’ve never met a permanent link that we haven’t made unpermanent) have deleted the wiki and the website. After all, the internet is running out of links and it’s important that we prune sites regularly.

Anyway, I’ve uploaded the pdf version of the document (the wiki is gone): Handbook of Emerging Technology for Learning.

1. Lilian Starobinas wrote:

Hello George,
    is the PDF protected? I couldn’t save it.
    All the best,
    Lilian

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Hi Lilian – it isn’t protected…you should be able to save it.

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink
  3. Lilian Starobinas wrote:

it worked now.
    Lilian

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink
  4. Wikibooks.org

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink
  5. Alec Couros wrote:

ahhhh, I love your sarcasm.

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Permalink
  6. Jon K. wrote:

Unfortunate that UofM decided that, you would think that they would understand that knowledge is the new currency…

On a less snarky note – sad to see all the good work of the wiki gone – I know there was a lot of work there. Backups inaccessible I assume?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 6:10 am | Permalink
  7. Dawn Worley wrote:

Thank you for providing the PDF link. The handbook provides valuable information on the digital age and how it is transforming teaching and learning. As your handbook indicates, learning is a social process and students want to interact with one another and develop a sense of community. The online learning environment and the influx of information have also prompted a transition from direct learning to facilitated instruction (Shea, 2006). Of course, this transition requires greater student responsibility and commitment to learning.

To promote a sense of community in my online courses, I am utilizing Adobe Connect to hold meetings and review sessions in my online courses. My students have expressed appreciation for having the opportunity to see and hear the “human” behind all of the instructions and assignments. It is my experience that students value the same sense of connectedness in the online classroom as they do in seated courses. Teaching presence also contributes to the sense of connectedness reported by students (Shea, 2006). As we move forward in the digital age, the importance of connectedness and a sense of community will drive our behaviors as instructors. I am curious as to how instructors will handle this change.

Reference:

Shea, P. (2006). A study of students’ sense of learning community in online environments. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 10 (1). Retrieved from http://www.sloanconsortium.org

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink