CCK08 Wrapup Recording

This afternoon, we held a wrapup conversation for CCK08…the recording is now available. We discussed a wide-range of topics, including lurking in online environments, lessons learned from CCK08, Stephen’s serialized course feeds, what we’ll do differently for the September ’09 offering of the course, etc. At about the 40 minute mark, we had an interesting discussion on assessment in education. My own view: assessment should be seen as matching patterns: what the learner knows and what she/he needs to know in order to achieve a degree/certificate. Instead of assessment conducted after a course, a combination of PLE/e-Portfolios and the patterns we exhibit through our daily online interaction/learning could serve as the basis for determining what field we are more qualified to work in. If I decide I want a career change, I should be able to match my existing skill set and expertise against the established criteria of other fields…and receive information on transference of existing learning. “George, you possess 48% of the needed knowledge to be a plumber, 35% to be a dentist, 105% to be an investment banker”…and then I should only be required to “gap fill” what I know vs. what I need to know. I could change careers every year!

1. Pat Parslow wrote:

Hi George,
    Not listened to the summary yet, but I wanted to just say that I pretty much agree with your idea of assessment. I think it should be doable using evidence based topic maps of the knowledge sets of the learner compare to those required for jobs. Additionally, this sort of mapping should be able to provide the learner (and their educators, in a formal setting) with the possible learning paths to acquire that knowledge. Coupled with a social networking setup it should also be possible to provide advice to the learner on ways to traverse the learning paths available to them, based on the learning experiences of others with similar skill sets (including the patterns of learning that they exhibit).
    Now to find some funding to set up a suitable system and test it…

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Permalink
  2. Ulop O'Taat wrote:

Hi George! Don’t instruments like LSAT and GMAT and SAT do what you are suggesting? Measure fit to occupation?

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Permalink
  3. I believe that Gerorge’s idea goes beyond LSAT, GMAt or SAT. Maybe we should think in a sort of mapping tool that can help draw different gradings and positions in the map to make visible the “posess” and “not possess” of our knwoledge in specific domains useful to the subject we’re tested. Am I wrong?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 4:53 am | Permalink
  4. Martin, lurker from Norway wrote:

Thanks for publishing the recording! Interesting stuff again.

When thinking about lurking, don´t forget the language aspect. Many of us lurkers are used to read and hear about most new ideas in English, but to discuss them and write about them in our own language. To present our own views on the web in an open environment in a foreign language we don´t master, signed with our own name, is a huge step.

And as you said, George : Microphone use is an important literacy.. I dream of a web 2.0 world where everybody buy decent headsets and work on how to make the voice sound as good as possible in skype or elluminate. Small distortions might not be a problem for a native speaker, but can make the content impossible to capture for someone speaking another language.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 7:43 am | Permalink
  5. Frances Bell wrote:

Thanks for this (and CCK08) – I couldn’t make ti so appreciate the recording.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Permalink
  6. denele esterhuizen wrote:

Found your post (September 1, 2004) on Knowledge Profiling very insightful (unable to comment on that particular post though?).

I am a MScEng (Industrial) student from Stellenbosch University, South Africa. My (unrefined) thesis topic is “Individual and company knowledge profiling to further innovation.”

It seems impossible to find any literature on the Knowledge Profile topic though? I only managed to find Denham Grey’s blog entry, and therefor also Mick Cope’s K-profile Framework.

Are you able to give me any further information in this regard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Denele Esterhuizen
    denele@sun.ac.za

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 7:54 am | Permalink
  7. ailsa wrote:

Thanks for posting a wrap up link, couldnt do it earlier, reaffirms that connectivism transpires time and place and is also affected by the connection means employed, much appreciated

Friday, February 27, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Permalink