Academic Earth

In the spirit of “aggregation is content creation”, Academic Earth provides what it calls “thousands of lectures from the world’s top scholars”. Aside from being useful learning resources for individuals, I’d like to know how many universities are using lecture videos from other scholars/universities. I haven’t come across research to date that discusses how open educational resources are being used. Yes, we get information like “MIT’s OCW gets X number of million hits per month”. I’m interested in whether or not universities are using open resources produced by other universities.

1. It doesn’t matter whether universities are using them. It matters whether students are using them.

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 5:52 am | Permalink
  2. Zoe wrote:

My husband is an academic, and I work in online publishing for education. This is a discussion we’ve had often. Academics, like teachers, are basically magpies – they’ll use what they can find as long as it’s good, and – more importantly – as long as they can tinker with it.

No two HE courses are alike, there will always be different structures and syllabi in play. So, you will never get a perfect match – and nor should you, that would just lead to permanent replication and a sterile teaching cycle.

My husband says that for him, using open resources/recommending open resources to students comes down to discoverability. That has two aspects: one, not knowing where to look (neither of us had heard of academic earth) and two, not being able to find appropriate material once there.

I’d venture that getting open HE material into broad use would rely on discoverability, and I’d also venture that that would require a pretty sophisticated taxonomy/tagging mechanism. I’m off to see what discoverability tools academic earth has to offer now!

Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Permalink
  3. Zoe wrote:

For the record – apparently, ‘the world’s top scholars’ are all American. That is to say, all the available universities are American.

Only two courses in Law, no tagging, descriptions in human-readable text form only. All in all, not the discoverability system you’d want to start with.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Permalink
  4. Mark wrote:

Just because the universities are American doesn’t mean that the scholars are. I mean, I’ve never gone to college myself, but I would venture to guess that there is a lot of diversity, just like the fact that not everyone in my workplace is American. Also it did only just start recently.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 3:16 am | Permalink
  5. Jason wrote:

Check out youtube’s education channel. It’s streaming unlike academic earth’s shared hosting!

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Academic Earth on Friday, January 30, 2009 at 11:11 am

[...] Academic Earth – elearnspace (elearnspace.org) – January 30, 2009In the spirit of “aggregation is content creation”, Academic Earth provides what it calls “thousands of lectures from the world’s top scholars”. Aside from being useful learning resources for individu… [...]

2. [...] when George Siemens notes: I haven’t come across research to date that discusses how open educational resources are being [...]