We All Do Knowledge Work
Quote: I figured you were a knowledge worker if:
- 80% of your job is doing things that “aren’t your job”
- “It’s not my job” is no longer an acceptable excuse
- Your mother doesn’t understand what you do
- Your boss doesn’t understand what you do
- You don’t understand what you do
Comment: Good discussion of knowledge work (that term that means nothing and everything…all at once!). As Jim alludes to, though we are in a knowledge economy, we still value the skills that are part of the industrial mindset. A worker checking his/her brain at the door…and following orders, is more valued than a pain-in-the-butt employee who challenges, thinks, seeks to innovate. Thinking is often perceived as idle/unproductive time.